Formal Charge Shortcut

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jarrett Peyrefitte 2K

Formal Charge Shortcut

Postby Jarrett Peyrefitte 2K » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm

What's an easy way to find the formal charge without having to write down the equation and plugin the numbers every time?

Kishan Shah 2G

Re: Formal Charge Shortcut

Postby Kishan Shah 2G » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:29 pm

An easy way is to count the number of lone electrons, not lone pairs, and add that the number of bonds( so a single bond would be one bond, a double would be two bonds). Then subtract this value from the number of valence electrons for that element.

KaleenaJezycki_1I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby KaleenaJezycki_1I » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Count the bonds around the atom as 1 electron and then count each lone pair as 2 electrons (count each dot you drew individually) and you want this to add up to the number of valence of electrons of the actual element. However if this is on a test then you should show the actual calculation.

Mariah

Postby Mariah » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:09 pm

KaleenaJezycki_4G wrote:Count the bonds around the atom as 1 electron and then count each lone pair as 2 electrons (count each dot you drew individually) and you want this to add up to the number of valence of electrons of the actual element. However if this is on a test then you should show the actual calculation.

My TA told us we don't have to show the actual calculation, as this trick is well known and helps to not overcomplicate formal charge.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”