Formal Charge & Lewis Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sofia Lombardo 2C

Formal Charge & Lewis Structures

Postby Sofia Lombardo 2C » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:25 pm

We use formal charge to find the most stable lewis structure, but do we have to include all possible variations of the lewis structure (like we would with resonance)? Or can we just use the most stable structure?

Mia Meza

Re: Formal Charge & Lewis Structures

Postby Mia Meza » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:31 pm

I am also unsure about this myself ^

AdilaAhmed3I

Postby AdilaAhmed3I » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:49 pm

Sofia Lombardo 3F wrote:We use formal charge to find the most stable lewis structure, but do we have to include all possible variations of the lewis structure (like we would with resonance)? Or can we just use the most stable structure?

I think it depends on the question that is asked. Usually for formal charge questions, they ask for all the variations and then using formal charge, choose the correct one(the most stable one). But if it just asks for a lewis structure, then it is going to be the most stable one.

Sarah_Hoffman_2H

Postby Sarah_Hoffman_2H » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:37 pm

I think its the most stable structure, unless the question specifically asks to include other possible structures.

Juliet Cushing_2H

Postby Juliet Cushing_2H » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:21 pm

On Sapling they ask us to report the most stable structure via formal charge. Because of that I think we should plan to aim for drawing the most stable.

Pranav Daggubati 3C

Postby Pranav Daggubati 3C » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Usually, the one with the correct formal charge allocation is the right answer, but some question may ask for an answer where you list all the allocations and then choose the most likely by basic rules.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”