formal charge and stability

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aishwarya Kosgi 1F

formal charge and stability

Postby Aishwarya Kosgi 1F » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi! I had a question about formal charge and rewriting structures. I think Dr. Lavelle mentioned that if a structure can be redrawn so the atoms in the compound have a formal charge of 0, that means the compound is more stable? Would we check every time one of the atoms has a formal charge that is not 0 to see if we can redraw the structure? And also would someone be able to explain how the compound is more stable in terms of the location of the electrons? Thanks!

Sydney Lam_2I

Re: formal charge and stability

Postby Sydney Lam_2I » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:53 pm

Hi!

So I asked my TA this question too! She said that every time we draw a lewis structure, we need to check for formal charge in order to draw the best structure. Also, we would want the formal charge of each atom in the structure to be zero ideally. If not, we would want to be as close as possible! I don't quite understand what you mean by the structure being stable based on where the electron is though so, if you could elaborate more maybe I could help you!

Emily Vu 1L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Emily Vu 1L » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:01 am

hi!

so a good starting point for when you're drawing structures, is to 1) make sure your drawing is symmetrical (for example, H2O should be drawn H - O - H) and to 2) use double bonds if the atom can accommodate an expanded octet, which Dr. Lavelle mentioned, is if the atom is in the p-block of period 3 or later in the periodic table. and yes, you should always try to make the formal charge as close to zero as possible BUT if the atom is charged (i.e. it is a cation/anion), then the formal charges should add up to the total charge. and if I understand correctly about your last question, in terms of the location of electrons, an atom tries to space its elements in the most symmetrical manner as possible in order to reduce electron-electron repulsion. I believe we will discuss that more in detail when we talk about geometric shape (in a couple weeks Dr. Lavelle said) which discusses VSEPR theory. hope this helps!

Leyla Anwar 3B

Postby Leyla Anwar 3B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:00 pm

If you can't get the total charge to 0 (FC=0 for all atoms) then would you want any specific atom to be the one that can get FC=0 (if possible at all)? Like, would it be the atom in the center of the lewis structure? Or the atom with the highest or lowest electronegativity?

Jack_Pearce_2H

Postby Jack_Pearce_2H » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 am

Try to get it as close as possible to 0! The closer it is the more stable, but if you really cannot get it to 0 thats okay too :)

Carly_Lipschitz_3H

Postby Carly_Lipschitz_3H » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:27 am

This is a good question. I know it's best to get formal charges of 0 to make it most stable. But how do we know when to stop manipulating the Lewis Structure? How do we know when we are close enough to the most stable form?

Crystal Pan 2G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Crystal Pan 2G » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:52 am

It is of course best for the whole structure to have a formal charge of 0, but if that doesn't happen, i think the second most stable form is when the central atom has a formal charge of 0.

Izamary Marquez 2H

Postby Izamary Marquez 2H » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:13 pm

Crystal Pan 1B wrote:It is of course best for the whole structure to have a formal charge of 0, but if that doesn't happen, i think the second most stable form is when the central atom has a formal charge of 0.

As you make the charges of the outer electrons zero, wouldn't this start to make the central atom's charge also zero? Lavelle seems to automatically know how the charges cancel out..

Sabrina Galvan 3J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sabrina Galvan 3J » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Carly_Lipschitz_3L wrote:This is a good question. I know it's best to get formal charges of 0 to make it most stable. But how do we know when to stop manipulating the Lewis Structure? How do we know when we are close enough to the most stable form?

We know we're close to the most stable form when the most electronegative ions carry the negative charges and the structure has the smallest magnitude of charges.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”