The most plausible structure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

IreneGi2I

The most plausible structure

Postby IreneGi2I » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:40 pm

I'm still a little confused what the most plausible structure would be based on formal charges. If a structure has more numbers of atoms with 0 formal charge, is this structure would be the most plausible one?
Also, according to the Sapling homework, it says that negative formal charge should be on the most electronegative atom. It is a bit confusing for me. Can someone explain why is that? Thank you in advance!

Molly Posta 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: The most plausible structure

Postby Molly Posta 1H » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Generally, I think the idea is that the ideal structure would minimize the amount of formal charges. So having less atoms with a formal charge would make the structure more plausible.

Kylie McCauley 1D

Postby Kylie McCauley 1D » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi,

Also, the most electronegative atoms (like Cl, F, O) should have the negative formal charge in a molecule over an atom like C or B.

Hannah Alltucker 3L

Postby Hannah Alltucker 3L » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:53 pm

We would want the negative formal charge on the most electronegative element, or the element that is going to want to gain an extra electron the most (therefore giving it a negative charge), since this is most likely what will occur in the real world. If you have two magnets, one that is a lot stronger than the other, any piece of metal will be drawn to the stronger magnet. It's the same thing for electrons, and therefore we tend to see negative/positive formal charges on the element that is most likely to want to take or give an electron. A good structure should try to limit the amount of formal charges present overall, though I don't really have much of an explanation for this than it is less complex and more likely to occur.

Brianna Chen 3F

Postby Brianna Chen 3F » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:15 pm

The criteria I usually try to meet when looking for the most plausible structure include:
Which structure has the most atoms with formal charges closest to 0?
Are the negative formal charges on the most electronegative atoms?
If the structure satisfies these two requirements, I like to consider it the most plausible structure.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”