Sapling Cl Oxidation Number

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jolie Sukonik 2B

Sapling Cl Oxidation Number

Postby Jolie Sukonik 2B » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:24 pm

The resonance hybrid of the perchlorate ion CLO4- is best described by 16 resonance structures.

Can someone help me with:
What is the oxidation number of chlorine in the perchlorate ion?
And also, why Lewis structure E is most plausible based on this oxidation number? How does the Cl3+ central atom describe this?

Jeffrey Hablewitz 2I

Re: Sapling Cl Oxidation Number

Postby Jeffrey Hablewitz 2I » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:30 pm

Oxygen almost always has an oxidation number of -2. Because the net charge of the ion equals -1, the sum of the oxidation numbers must equal -1. Therefore, the oxidation number for Cl can be solved algebraically: 4(-2)+x=-1, where x = oxidation number of Cl. In this case, chlorine's oxidation number is +7. The model with a +3 formal charge on chlorine best matches chlorine's oxidation number. Im not sure if we need to know how to determine oxidation numbers for the midterm. Hope this helps!

Samudrala_Vaishnavi 3A

Re: Sapling Cl Oxidation Number

Postby Samudrala_Vaishnavi 3A » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:01 am

The oxidation number for the Chlorine is actually 7 considering that the sum of the oxidation numbers of each element adds up to the charge and oxygen has an oxidation number of -2. We have four oxygen as well so 4(-2)= 8 + _=-1. There has to be an oxidation number of 7 to make the charge -1. Since the oxidation number is an exaggeration of the charge of the elements, the Lewis structure with the chlorine having the general greatest charge is the most accurate in terms of looking at oxidation numbers.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”