Charge of a Molecule / Distribution of Charge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Talia Leano 2H

Charge of a Molecule / Distribution of Charge

Postby Talia Leano 2H » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 pm

Can we use formal charge to determine the charge of a molecule (to find out if it is an ion) and to figure out distributions of charge (to determine if it is polar or non-polar covalent) ?

SainehaMaddineni_3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Charge of a Molecule / Distribution of Charge

Postby SainehaMaddineni_3I » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 pm

You can use formal charge to find the charge of the ion, since if you add all the formal charges, it will give you the molecule's overall charge.

Mackenzie Van Val 3E

Postby Mackenzie Van Val 3E » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:13 pm

The positive and negative identifiers that Dr. Lavelle used in his lectures for charge distribution seemed to be based more off of the electronegativity of an atom than the formal charges found in Lewis structures. For example, in KCl, Cl would carry the partial negative charge because it has a high electronegativity (high ionization energy and electron affinity). K would carry the partial positive because it has low electronegativity (low electronegativity and electron affinity) and thus its electrons are being pulled more towards Cl. Therefore, I'd say it's better to use periodic trends instead of formal charge to find if a molecule is polar/non-polar.

Tanya Nguyen 1B

Postby Tanya Nguyen 1B » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:15 pm

To find the charge of the molecule, you would add up all of the formal charges from atom and that should give you the ion's charge.

Sabrina Galvan 3J

Postby Sabrina Galvan 3J » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:30 am

Finding the overall charge of the molecule can be found through adding all of the formal charges of the atoms within the molecule.

George_Yin_3I

Postby George_Yin_3I » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Yes, we have done some exercises on Sapling that require us to deduce the formal charge based on the charge on the molecule. In this case, the sum of the formal charge is equal to the charge of the molecule.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”