Optimal Formal Charge Configuration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

TiffanyBrownfield 2I

Optimal Formal Charge Configuration

Postby TiffanyBrownfield 2I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm

My friend showed me a question that asked which thiocyanate structure was the most stable based off formal charge (written as [SCN]-). There were two options listed, one where the Sulfur had the -1 charge and one where the Nitrogen was given the -1 charge. In this case, would it be more stable for the Nitrogen atom to have the charge since it has a higher electronegativity, or is there another factor to consider?

Rohit Srinivas 2D

Re: Optimal Formal Charge Configuration

Postby Rohit Srinivas 2D » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:50 pm

I believe that is correct, you put it on the nitrogen. When you have the option that all else has the lowest formal charge and the only difference is where a negative formal charge goes, then you put that on the more electronegative atom. I believe this is similar to a sapling problem from last weeks homework.

Xinyu Li 1C

Postby Xinyu Li 1C » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 pm

Typically, you want to place the negative formal charge on the more electronegative atom and the positive formal charge on the less electronegative atom. Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wei 2C

Postby Jeremy Wei 2C » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi, the more electronegative atom should get the negative formal charge and the less electronegative atom should get the positive formal charge, as that would make the molecule more stable.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”