Week 5-6 Achieve Question 2

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Angela_Li_1J

Week 5-6 Achieve Question 2

Postby Angela_Li_1J » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:22 pm

For the carbonate lewis structure, the oxygens with a single bond have a formal charge of -1, and since there are two of those oxygens, does the -2 equate to the charge of the carbonate? I was just confused because I calculated that the formal charge was -1 so I put that for the answer and it said it was wrong, and then I put another -1 on the other oxygen, and then the answer was correct.

Sophia Olender 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Week 5-6 Achieve Question 2

Postby Sophia Olender 2J » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:58 pm

Like you said, the carbonate molecule has an overall charge of 2- because of the those two oxygen atoms. Each oxygen atom has a -1 formal charge, so each one needs to have a negative sign in the diagram. The carbon and third oxygen have formal charges of zero so no +/- signs are added.

Samantha Loc 1B

Postby Samantha Loc 1B » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:23 am

Yes, the -1 formal charge on each of the 2 single bonded oxygen atoms leads to the 2- charge of the carbonate.

Ruben Adamov 1E

Postby Ruben Adamov 1E » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:27 am

Yes, the two oxygens have a formal charge of -1 each, which means a total of -2. The other atoms have a formal charge of 0. That means the carbonate molecule has a total formal charge of -2.
Hope this helps!

Shivani Sakthi 1l
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Shivani Sakthi 1l » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Hello! I thought it might help to do a step-by-step on how to approach this problem.
First, we need the formula of carbonate which is (CO3)2-.
1.) Carbon= 4 electrons, Oxygen= 3 x 6e, and 2 additional electrons because of the 2-, giving us a total of 24 electrons.
2.) We place carbon in the center because it has lower ionization energy.
3.)We will begin by bonding at least one bond from the carbon to each oxygen atom, and then we will proceed to fill up the oxygen octets with lone pairs.
4.) After counting the electrons in the covalent bonds and the octet, 24 electrons are counted. However, Oxygen does not have a full valence shell since it only has 6 electrons. So, we must double bond carbon with one of the oxygens to fill the shell. We must check our formal charges to see if this is the best structure.
5.) Using Fc= V-(c+s/2), we see a 1- charge on each oxygen that are not double-bonded to carbon and a 0 charge on the on the carbon and the oxygen that is double bonded to carbon. So our total formal charge of 2- is apparent. So we must include -1 next to the first two carbons and no charge next to the carbon and the third carbon.

Remember to put brackets around the dot diagram and a negative 2 outside of the brackets, since it is the net formal charge! Hope this helped.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”