Determining Best Lewis Structure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cadence Chang
Been upvoted: 1 time

Determining Best Lewis Structure

Postby Cadence Chang » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:20 pm

Hi!

How do I know what would be the most stable Lewis Structure in terms of formal charge? I know that we should maximize the number of atoms that have a 0 formal charge, but how do I know when I should add a double bond or something to reduce the FC?

Thanks!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Determining Best Lewis Structure

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 pm

You will add a double bond when doing so reduced the formal charges of one or more atoms to zero. You can play around with different double bonding to different atoms and see which produces the most minimal formal charge. Additionally, if there is a negative formal charge, it should be on the most electronegative atom!

Postby 405716590 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:29 pm

Basically you just have to make the formal charge of the most atoms in the molecule close to zero.

Aneesha_Nema_3C

Postby Aneesha_Nema_3C » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:14 am

Like the previous people said, you can just play around with double bonds to see if they are able to bring the formal charge of individual atoms closer to 0. There are no strict rules you have to follow other than the octet rule guidelines (unless exceptions apply to the atoms/molecules).

Robert Nguyen 14B-3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Robert Nguyen 14B-3E » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:08 am

A tip to figuring out which bonds to change would be looking at which bonds are connected to charges that could be lowered

In the above image for example, we can see in the middle structure that the central carbon has two bonds connected to an atoms with formal charges: one oxygen and one nitrogen (If it's hard to tell from the model, this is because the only single bond of the oxygen forces it to have 6 other electrons, totaling 7, which is one more negative than its normal value (6-), while the nitrogen's double bond to the carbon plus its two hydrogen atom bonds make it only have a formal charge of 4, which is one more positive than its normal value (7-)). As we can see in the left structure, this can be changed by changing both bonds affected to them: turning the oxygen bond to a double bond removes the need for 2 of the other lone pair electrons, giving it a formal charge of 6 (2 bonds + 2 pairs), and the nitrogen's single bond would now force it to need another pair of electrons, taking its formal charge to 5 (1 carbon bond + 2 hydrogen atom bonds + 1 pair), which for both is the standard value.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”