D-orbital elements

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

D-orbital elements

Postby 305920501 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:18 pm

Are there any real-world examples of molecules where the elements that can utilize the d-orbital fill the entire 10 possible spaces for electrons (for example with Iodine)? Are these molecules more or less stable than those that only fill an octet?

Averie Moore 2F

Re: D-orbital elements

Postby Averie Moore 2F » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:30 pm

I'm not sure how to answer the first part of your question but d-orbital elements prefer to be in either a half or filled subshell. They are more stable this way due to their allowance of a symmetrical distribution of electrons.

Isabelle Huerta 2I

Re: D-orbital elements

Postby Isabelle Huerta 2I » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:14 am

Sulfur, in its bonding with six fluorine atoms, exceeds the octet rule by utilizing its empty d-orbitals, accommodating a total of 12 electrons around the sulfur atom.
Another example, Phosphorus can have an expanded octet by bonding with five chlorine atoms, utilizing its empty d-orbitals to accommodate a total of 10 electrons around the phosphorus atom. These molecules are relatively stable despite violating the octet rule because the d-orbitals of the central atoms are available for bonding, allowing them to accommodate more than eight electrons.

Return to “Octet Exceptions”