When to expand an octet

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabelle Bautista 3H

When to expand an octet

Postby Isabelle Bautista 3H » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 pm

So for question 3.93 part (b) is asks us to draw the Lewis structure and all resonance structures for BrO+. Since Bromine can have an expanded octet, why wouldn't there be a resonance structure that has a triple bond between O and Br, then 2 lone pairs on Br, and one lone pair on O. Do expanded octets only occur when they are needed to fit more atoms around the central atom?

Johann Park 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: When to expand an octet

Postby Johann Park 2B » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

If I am understanding your question correctly, in looking at BrO+, we're split between choosing a double bond, Br and O with two lone pairs vs. a triple bond where Br has two lone pairs and O has one?

Because we can draw the structure of :Br: = :O:, with a double bond and two lone pairs on each atom, we have a formal charge of +1 and also satisfy the octet rule. I think that we only break the octet rule on these "exception atoms" when we have to. Otherwise, satisfying the octet rule when we can requires less energy/is more stable.

JonathanLam1G

Re: When to expand an octet

Postby JonathanLam1G » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:46 pm

I agree. I believe the order of priority when drawing Lewis Structures should be:
1) Can the atom have an expanded octet? or can it only hold 8 valence electrons?
2) Are the formal charges of the atoms the lowest possible?
3) If there must be a negative charge, is it placed on the most electronegative atom?

Return to “Octet Exceptions”