Radical Lewis Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JamesAntonios 1E

Radical Lewis Structures

Postby JamesAntonios 1E » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:12 pm

If a molecule has an unpaired electron, where does this electron go? Should the Lewis structure be made so that the lowest formal charge is achieved and that determines the placement of this electron?

Emily Duggan 1F

Re: Radical Lewis Structures

Postby Emily Duggan 1F » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 pm

a radical lewis structure is a lewis structure with an unpaired electron due to an odd number of valence electrons. they are highly unstable and rare, therefore unfavored in nature. when drawing a radical i believe you leave it as an unpaired electron, so one dot, next to the atom in corresponds to. if the atom can have an extended octet, like P and beyond, it is more stable to take away the adjacent unpaired electrons and form another bond between the two atoms.

Charlotte Shieh 1F

Postby Charlotte Shieh 1F » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Just to add, when drawing the lewis structure you place the unpaired electron on the atom which is more electronegative.

Jana Sun 1I

Postby Jana Sun 1I » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 pm

It's easy to spot a radical because of the number of odd electrons. However, is there an easy way to spot biradicals? Thank you!

Pooja Nair 1C

Postby Pooja Nair 1C » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Radicals go on the most electronegative atom. Biradicals are merely molecules with two radicals or two instances of unpaired electrons. I think these are noticeable when you are doing a Lewis structure and you calculate the formal charge of the atoms, but I'm pretty sure we won't be asked for the Lewis structure of a biradical.

Return to “Octet Exceptions”