Question 3.63 part b

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madeleine Farrington 1B

Question 3.63 part b

Postby Madeleine Farrington 1B » Sun May 20, 2018 3:17 pm

3.36 b) Write the Lewis structure for each of the following molecules or ions and give the number of electrons about each central atom: b) XeF2

Why would Xe bond where it needs to use an extended octet when it already has 8 valence electrons making it very stable already? Isn't an extended octet less stable or at least not more stable than a single atom with a full valence shell?

Andre-1H

Re: Question 3.63 part b

Postby Andre-1H » Sun May 20, 2018 3:39 pm

I think that just because an element has a complete octet does not make bonding impossible. You're right in the sense that it makes it a lot harder and an element like Xenon won't want to bond with anything. I looked it up and it said that when Xenon and Fluorine are heated at 400 degrees celsius, then XeF2 forms. 400 degrees celsius is extremely hot so I hope that maybe helps, in the sense that yes it is possible for them to bond together but it is quite difficult to induce that process.

Anna De Schutter - 1A

Re: Question 3.63 part b

Postby Anna De Schutter - 1A » Sun May 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi!

Dr. Lavelle also talked about during last Friday's lecture when he said that the reason Xe can interact with other atoms even if it is a noble gas is because it is a very large atom. As a result, Xenon doesn't hold on to its electrons very well and sharing electrons with other atoms, such as F in this case, is possible. The same reasoning would be true for krypton for example.

Hope this helps! :)
Anna De Schutter - section 1A

Return to “Octet Exceptions”