Odd Lewis Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

katietietsworth_3c

Odd Lewis Structures

Postby katietietsworth_3c » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:49 am

When doing an example like BF3 how will we be able to know that all of the F elements have an octet but B only has 6 electrons? Would this be something we might see on a test? I am just confused on how we can know which element to put the octets on when it comes to a compound like BF3 that has 24 electrons.

Rian Montagh 2K

Re: Odd Lewis Structures

Postby Rian Montagh 2K » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:30 am

I'm confused about this too but I believe in this case that since F is more electronegative, you could know that F would get the electrons.

Sara Sadrolsadat 1G

Postby Sara Sadrolsadat 1G » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 pm

I read in a previous post that Dr. Lavelle had explained that Boron cannot have a full octet in this case because any double bonds would give fluorine a formal charge of 1-. Furthermore, the formal charge of Boron is zero (without having double bonds), even though it has 6 and not 8 electrons, because the element has 3 valence electrons and it is bonded to 3 fluorines. I believe this example may just be an exception to the octet rule. I'm not sure how we would know for certain that Boron not fulfilling an octet would be O.K., if we did not know the example though :/

abbydouglas1K

Postby abbydouglas1K » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:25 pm

How do we account for electrons in the 3d orbital in our lewis structure ?

Return to “Octet Exceptions”