Max # of bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emmaraf 1K

Max # of bonds

Postby Emmaraf 1K » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:17 pm

Since the atoms which can have an expanded octet do so by accessing their d orbitals, does that mean some atoms could form 9 bonds (since 1 s orbital, 3 p orbitals, and 5 d orbitals? Then, for some atoms which can access their f orbitals, could they even form 16 bonds (1 s orbital, 3 p orbitals, 5 d orbitals, and 7 f orbitals)? Would this even ever happen in real life since formal charges would be too far from 0?

Sabrina Ryu 3L

Re: Max # of bonds

Postby Sabrina Ryu 3L » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Theoretically you could form 9 bonds, but I do not know how likely it would be, especially because atoms in molecules like to maintain a formal charge closest to zero.

gwynlu1L

Postby gwynlu1L » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:14 am

I wouldn't really focus on how many bonds an atom can potentially make, all you should really focus on is what number of bonds/how many electrons in the expanded octet give the atom the most stable formal charge.

Courtney Quan 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Courtney Quan 1C » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:46 am

In theory, it could be possible but extremely unlikely. What matters is the stability of the structure as a whole rather than how many bonds an atom could form by accessing its d and f orbitals.

Linh Vo 2J

Postby Linh Vo 2J » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:32 am

I agree with the previous posts in that theoretically, I believe you could form 9 bonds, but would be extremely unlikely since it deviates so far away from the desired charge of zero. By creating so many bonds, it would make the formal charge insanely high and unstable (since the best and most stable Lewis structures tend to have formal charges of zero). I don't think you should spend too much time worrying about the possible bonds it could make, but rather focus on the formal charges to determine the most stable structure for a particular compound.

Return to “Octet Exceptions”