Expanded octet

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shanzey

Expanded octet

Postby Shanzey » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:00 pm

During lecture, Dr. Lavelle mentioned expanded octets, but I am unsure of what he meant by that. What is an expanded octet, and can atoms that follow the octet rule have expanded octets (or is that a violation of the octet rule)?

FDeCastro_1B

Re: Expanded octet

Postby FDeCastro_1B » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:03 pm

From what I could gather in lecture, an expanded octet is when a central atom ends up with more than an octet.

zoedfinch1K

Postby zoedfinch1K » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Expanded octets are when an atom can accommodate more than 8 valence electrons. This only happens for P, S, Cl.

Harry Zhang 1B

Postby Harry Zhang 1B » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:20 pm

The expanded octet concept comes from the idea that normally we would consider the valence orbitals of an atom or the outermost shell of an atom can hold no more than 8 electrons. An expanded octet is then an atom that holds more than eight electrons in its outmost shell. Atoms in or after period 3 have the principal quantum number 3, which gives them access to the d orbital. This then allow them to hold extra electrons besides the ones that are already in s(2 electrons) and p(6electrons). However, atoms in group I-III are unlikely to have an expanded octet because they are metal and are thus unlikely to gain extra electrons.

Return to “Octet Exceptions”