radicals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

connie 2C

radicals

Postby connie 2C » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:55 pm

how do you know which element in the molecular compound is the one with one lone electron? is it based on the electronegativity of the elements?

LReedy_3I

Re: radicals

Postby LReedy_3I » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 pm

I have heard that one strategy when drawing a Lewis structure for a radical is to start filling in electrons on the most electronegative atom first, and then moving on from there, so the least electronegative atom gets the radical because the more electronegative atoms want to pull the electrons more.

Jessica Li 4F

Postby Jessica Li 4F » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:00 pm

To second that, the more electronegative atom usually wants more electrons. If it is that the radical electron would give that element more electrons, that it would get the electron on the Lewis structure and vice versa. However, formal charge is also important, so I'd keep that in mind.

BryantChung_4B

Postby BryantChung_4B » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:26 am

One tip is that in most examples I've seen, the central atom will NOT have the single electron. This is not the specific rule, but we've learned that the central atom is least electronegative, so that one will not pull electrons as strongly as the outer, more electronegative atoms.

Return to “Octet Exceptions”