Polar Covalent vs. Unequally Shared

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

MichelleCarter_1F

Polar Covalent vs. Unequally Shared

Postby MichelleCarter_1F » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Hello friends,
I was wondering if I am incorrect that assuming polar covalent bonds and covalent bonds with unequally shared electrons are the same. If not, what is the difference? I didn't really understand how they were disparate.
Thanks!

Lyndon_Bui_3J

Re: Polar Covalent vs. Unequally Shared

Postby Lyndon_Bui_3J » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:33 pm

I am pretty sure that if a covalent bond has unequally shared electrons then it is a polar covalent bond. So they are the same I think. The unequal sharing is caused by differences in electronegativity that cause an electric dipole moment.

ramayyala1G

Postby ramayyala1G » Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 pm

A polar covalent bond means there is unequal sharing. A regular covalent bond means that there is equal sharing of electrons. So a covalent bond with unequal sharing is a polar covalent bond.

Sam Metzger 1C

Postby Sam Metzger 1C » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Yes, the unequal sharing of electrons implies polarity. In addition a non-polar covalent bond can still have an induced dipole creating a moment of polarity that makes the intermolecular force stronger. Large carbon based molecules, for example, have very strong intermolecular forces because there are so many electrons and thus so many strong induced dipole moments.

Return to “Coordinate Covalent Bonds”