Lewis Diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sameer Chowdhury 3C

Lewis Diagram

Postby Sameer Chowdhury 3C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:50 pm

When drawing a a Lewis Diagram for a molecule that has a coordinate covalent bond, is there an specific notation for it, or are we supposed to figure that out based on knowledge of the individual atoms in the structure and the amount of valence electrons each has?

Aydin Karatas 1F

Re: Lewis Diagram

Postby Aydin Karatas 1F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:04 pm

From what I understood from his lecture, Dr. Lavelle said that when looking at a molecule with a coordinate covalent bond, there is no real way to distinguish it notationally from other bonds in the complex. It's context-dependent, meaning a diagram is used to show the before and after. If you wanted to be truly precise with identity the coordinate covalent bonds in a complex, I guess a diagram that shows the before and after would suffice.

Hope this very vague answer this helps.

Susanna Givan 2B

Postby Susanna Givan 2B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:56 pm

Yea, I don't really think there is a way to display that info in a diagram. You could always write it out though and include the information with the diagram that way.

IanWheeler3F

Postby IanWheeler3F » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:03 pm

One way you can "know" there is a coordinate covalent bond is when you see these brackets [ ] and a metal and a bunch of molecules/atoms all stuck together in a chemical formula. Like here's a random one: [Pt(NH3)3(Cl3)]Cl. I know the question was for lewis structures so when you see these metals and molecules/atoms in a drawn structure you usually know its a coordinate covalent bond due to the properties of the metal, but I don't think we go into that quite yet.

allyssa bradley 1H

Postby allyssa bradley 1H » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 pm

I think I've also seen Lavelle notate coordinate covalent bonds with a dotted line to show the interaction/change occurring!

DavidTabib 3H

Postby DavidTabib 3H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:34 pm

No, it looks the same as a normal bond.

Return to “Coordinate Covalent Bonds”