Do C.C. bonds have expanded octet?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jaden Haskins 2E

Do C.C. bonds have expanded octet?

Postby Jaden Haskins 2E » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:37 pm

In all the examples provided so far, it seems that coordinate covalent bonds with transition metals always form expanded octets. Is this because transition metals are in the d-block on the periodic table, or is it because their "sea of electrons" nature means that it is easier for them to form bonds? I know that p-block elements in row 3 or later can form expanded octets so I was wondering if the same concept goes for d-block elements.

Leo Naylor 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Do C.C. bonds have expanded octet?

Postby Leo Naylor 2F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:39 pm

I think that the professor mentioned that most transition metals are more stable with an expanded octet, just like some p-block elements. Additionally, the transition metal had an expanded octet in each example he provided.

Sera Aintablian 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sera Aintablian 2E » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:43 am

Elements row 3 and below are capable of expanded octets. I believe that transition metals with a d-subshell are able to have expanded octets, and tend to in coordinate covalent bonds.

Wasila Sun 2I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Wasila Sun 2I » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:47 am

As Dr. Lavelle mentioned in the earlier lectures, the octet rule is just a guideline. Most elements outside of the 2nd row of the periodic table can accomodate an expanded octet and don't need to follow the octet rule. The octet rule is only a strict rule for elements including carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and fluorine. Because d-block elements aren't a part of the 2nd row, then they can be expanded.

Return to “Coordinate Covalent Bonds”