Electronegativity Difference in Polar Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabelle Huerta 2I

Electronegativity Difference in Polar Bonds

Postby Isabelle Huerta 2I » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:42 am

Hi,

I wanted to know if there was a way to better understand the electronegativity difference between atoms that contribute to polar bond formations?

Thanks.

Gabbyscholtes 3B

Re: Electronegativity Difference in Polar Bonds

Postby Gabbyscholtes 3B » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:07 am

Hi! I am not entirely sure if this answers your question but the greater the electronegativity difference, the more polar the bond, resulting in an uneven distribution of electron density and the development of partial positive and negative charges on the atoms involved.

Maegan Abutin 2C

Re: Electronegativity Difference in Polar Bonds

Postby Maegan Abutin 2C » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:07 am

Hi!

There are multiple ways and strategies that'll help better understand the electronegativity difference between atoms that contribute to polar bond formations. The first is becoming familiar with electronegativity trends in the periodic table. Electronegativity trends are demonstrated across periods starting from left and increasing as you move to the right of the periodic table as well as decreasing when you move down a group. Knowing electronegativity values in different elements helps one know the electronegativity difference between two atoms. In knowing this, you will also find out if the bond is more or less polar. The more the electronegativity difference, the more polar the bond and vice versa. To add onto this, it is also important to have a good grasp of recognizing polar and non-polar bonds. A strategy to this is the 0.5 rule, which states that if the electronegativity difference between two atoms is > 0.5 and < 1.7, it is a polar bond. However, if the difference if 0.5 or less, it is typically a non-polar bond.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”