Polarizability

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Layal Suboh 1I

Polarizability

Postby Layal Suboh 1I » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Hello,

I'm having difficulty understanding polarity. I know that it causes a separation of charge (for example, O becoming slightly negative and H becoming slight positive), but what does it mean that polarity is how easily electrons are distorted?

Thanks

Annalyn Diaz 1J

Re: Polarizability

Postby Annalyn Diaz 1J » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:57 pm

I believe that having a higher polarity increases the chances of the distortion of electrons because the electrons from one atom are being pulled/attracted more strongly by another atom. In a sense, I think having a larger atomic radius would also increase the chances of electron distortion.

monikac4k

Re: Polarizability

Postby monikac4k » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:18 pm

A good analogy for me to understand polarizability is to compare it to malleability.
Polarizability, from my understanding, is how likely an atom or molecule's electron cloud will shift in response to another electromagnetic force.
Malleability is a substance's ability to change form and mold into a different shape under pressure.
Just like some materials, like clay and putty, are more malleable than other materials, like iron and steel, some atoms and molecules, usually, those with larger electron clouds, are more polarizable than other atoms.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”