Polarizability Vs. Polarizing Power

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cecilia Jardon 1I

Polarizability Vs. Polarizing Power

Postby Cecilia Jardon 1I » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Can someone please explain the difference between Polarizability and Polarizing Power. I did not quite understand the difference between each two.

Lauren Ho 2E

Re: Polarizability Vs. Polarizing Power

Postby Lauren Ho 2E » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:21 pm

From http://wwwchem.uwimona.edu.jm/courses/CHEM1902/IC10K_MG_Fajans.html : "The ability of a cation to distort an anion is known as its polarization power and the tendency of the anion to become polarized by the cation is known as its polarizability."
Attachments
polarizability.gif

Kate_Santoso_4F

Postby Kate_Santoso_4F » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:49 am

A cation's polarizing power refers to its ability to attract valence electrons from a nearby anion and polarizability refers to the anion's tendency to become polarized by the cation. Small cations with high positive charges are said to have more polarizing power because the positive charge is distributed over a much smaller area. The larger the size of the anion, the greater the polarizability because it is easier to distort the electron cloud the bigger the ion is. In general, polarization occurs when a small cation distorts the valence electron shells of a larger anion.

Kristy 1F

Postby Kristy 1F » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:46 pm

When atoms or ions are larger, have less electronegativity and less positive charge, they have more polarizability. When they have smaller size, more electronegativity and more positive charge, they have more polarizing power.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”