Polarizability v. Polarizing Power

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Layal Suboh 1I

Polarizability v. Polarizing Power

Postby Layal Suboh 1I » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Hello,

I'm a little confused by the difference between polarizability and polarizing power. I know the polarizability refers to the large size of anions, and polarizing power refers to small size cations, but what exactly is the reason for how strongly a cation can polarize an anion and how easily an anion is polarized?

Thanks!

Kobe_Wright

Re: Polarizability v. Polarizing Power

Postby Kobe_Wright » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Cation refers to elements that want to give electrons while anions refer to elements that want to receive electrons. Anions are highly polarizable because they are highly electronegative which means they want to receive an electron, and a cation is highly polarizing because it has a highly positive electronegativity that could be sucked into a zone of high electronegativity which means it would then have a zone of positive and negative energy.

inlovewithchemistry

Re: Polarizability v. Polarizing Power

Postby inlovewithchemistry » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:43 pm

I find it helpful to separate their definitions. I think that a cation has a plus sign, so it's fitting that polarizing power has one more word than polarizability. Polarizability is therefore associated with anions, and polarizing power with cations.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”