Like dissolves like

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabelle Fontanilla 1I

Like dissolves like

Postby Isabelle Fontanilla 1I » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Based on the rule: like dissolves like, I know that polar solvent dissolves polar compounds. However, I do not know how non-polar solvent dissolves non-polar compounds. Can someone explain? Is it because of London Dispersion Forces? If so, won't non-polar solvent still be able to dissolve polar compounds(if there is enough energy)?

Sydney Aurelio_Dis4B

Re: Like dissolves like

Postby Sydney Aurelio_Dis4B » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:20 am

Non polar solutes dissolve in non polar solvents, due to London Dispersion Forces. The reason as to why non polar solutes won't dissolve in polar solvents is that the London Dispersion forces in non polar molecules are much weaker in comparison to to the polar attractions between the permanent dipoles in the polar molecules that make up the solvent.

Tony Ong 3K

Postby Tony Ong 3K » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:24 am

nonpolar compounds have a tendency to aggregate together...such is the case in a cell's lipid bilayer, where the nonpolar, hydrophobic tails face inwards towards another while the hydrophilic, polar heads face outwards. This is key towards regulating a cell's metabolism.

Josceline 3J

Postby Josceline 3J » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 am

I'm sorry this is bit out of topic but what part of the book is this? will test 3 cover this too??

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”