Polarizing Power/Polarizability

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kate_Santoso_4F

Polarizing Power/Polarizability

Postby Kate_Santoso_4F » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 pm

According to the textbook, ionic bonds acquire more covalent character as the distortion of the electron cloud on the anion increases. What exactly does this mean?

LorenzoDuvergne3I

Re: Polarizing Power/Polarizability

Postby LorenzoDuvergne3I » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:27 am

As the cloud gets larger and easier to distort, it becomes more polarizable as polarizability is defined by how easily the valence electron cloud can be distorted. Dipoles and polarity are characteristics of covalent bonds, and so I'm guessing higher polarizability leads to the bond having some sort of dipole-like characteristics that make it more covalent in nature.

katietietsworth_3c

Re: Polarizing Power/Polarizability

Postby katietietsworth_3c » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 am

Covalent character just means that instead of one element fully stealing electrons from the other their electron clouds share, not to the extent that covalent bonds share electrons but there is some sharing rather than solely taking electrons. The larger the atomic radii of an element the more easily the electron cloud can become distorted which means that element has a high polarizability and vice versa, elements with a smaller radius have more protons which want to bring in electrons thus they exhibit a high polarizing power. Hope that helps.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”