Polarizable

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

sarahtang4B

Polarizable

Postby sarahtang4B » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am

Order these anions in order from least to most polarizable: I-, Cl-, S2-, P3-

Order these cations in order from least to most polarizing power: Li+, Ca2+, Cs+, Ba2+

and then which ion pairs would have bonds with greatest ionic and greatest covalent character and why?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Polarizable

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Bigger anions are more polarizable because their electron cloud is larger and thus more easily distorted. Atomic size increases as you go down a column.

Conversely, smaller cations have stronger polarizing power because their electrons are more "condensed" and can thus distort other electron clouds. Use atomic size trends.

Greatest ionic character is between the species with the most polarizability/greatest polarizing power because the electron clouds are more distorted, creating dipole moments. Greatest covalent character is between species with the least polarizability/least polarizing power.

Jasmine Reddy DIS 1E

Postby Jasmine Reddy DIS 1E » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Chem_Mod wrote: Greatest ionic character is between the species with the most polarizability/greatest polarizing power because the electron clouds are more distorted, creating dipole moments. Greatest covalent character is between species with the least polarizability/least polarizing power.

In my notes, I wrote down that higher polarizability and higher polarizing power means greater covalent character. Is this incorrect?

I also thought that ionic character refers to unequal sharing of electrons in a polar covalent bond due to differences in electronegativity, and has nothing to do with polarizability and polarizing power.

sarahtang4B

Postby sarahtang4B » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:24 pm

So then would Cl- and Cs+ have greatest ionic character?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:38 am

No, Cs+ does not have the highest polarizing power. Li+ and the ion with the more polarizability, I- would form bonds with the most ionic character.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”