Consequences of polarizability

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

MKearney_4G

Consequences of polarizability

Postby MKearney_4G » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:42 pm

I understand that it is easier to distort anions and I understand that cations have more polarizing power and why.
What is the consequence of this, though? How do we apply these properties to bonding or IMFs?

Eugene Chung 3F

Re: Consequences of polarizability

Postby Eugene Chung 3F » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:45 pm

higher polarizability means there will be stronger LDF. So, the molecules will attract one another more strongly and the melting/ boiling points of these covalent substances will increase with size because bigger the size= higher the polarizability.

Kelly Yun 3K

Postby Kelly Yun 3K » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:03 pm

Polarizability can be seen as a measure of the molecule's ability to acquire a dipole moment when exposed to an electric field, so I would say the consequence of polarizability would essentially be stronger IMFs.

Valerie Doan 3K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Valerie Doan 3K » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Polarizing power refers to an atoms ability to pull an electron towards it. Since cations are positive, they are able to attract electrons away from the anions and towards themselves. Anions are negative. Therefore, they do not attract more electrons.

Ayesha Aslam-Mir 2E

Postby Ayesha Aslam-Mir 2E » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:12 pm

Since polarizability increases for larger cations, does this mean larger compounds overall have stronger IMFs? Also, how does a dipole moment influence/is influenced by polarizability?

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”