Does polarizability increase left to right?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

David Chibukhchian 2G

Does polarizability increase left to right?

Postby David Chibukhchian 2G » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:01 am

Hey guys, I know that the polarizability of anions increases as you move down a group in the periodic table because the electrons of that anion are further away from the nucleus (and thus it's harder to maintain them). However, I was wondering whether polarizability increases as you move to the left or the right of a period; do the increased electrons as you move right make it easier to polarize, or is it when the negative charge of the anion itself increases? Any info would be really helpful, thanks!

Megan Sparrow 1A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Does polarizability increase left to right?

Postby Megan Sparrow 1A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:05 am

Generally, polarizability increases as the volume occupied by electrons increases. On rows of the periodic table, polarizability decreases from left to right (larger molecules are more polarizable than smaller ones). Polarizability increases down on columns of the periodic table. I hope this helps!
Attachments
slide_7.jpg

David Chibukhchian 2G

Postby David Chibukhchian 2G » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:02 am

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. If polarizability decreases as you move up and right on the periodic table, then anions with more charge (moving left across a period) will be more polarizable. That really helped, thank you!

Madison Muggeo 3H

Postby Madison Muggeo 3H » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:28 pm

Megan Sparrow 1G wrote:Generally, polarizability increases as the volume occupied by electrons increases. On rows of the periodic table, polarizability decreases from left to right (larger molecules are more polarizable than smaller ones). Polarizability increases down on columns of the periodic table. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much, this is such a helpful diagram!

Mingzi Yang 1E

Postby Mingzi Yang 1E » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Megan Sparrow 1G wrote:Generally, polarizability increases as the volume occupied by electrons increases. On rows of the periodic table, polarizability decreases from left to right (larger molecules are more polarizable than smaller ones). Polarizability increases down on columns of the periodic table. I hope this helps!

Thank you. The diagram definitely helps! So the size and polarization have the same trend.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”