Polarizability and Polarizing Power

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mary Gallo 1G
Been upvoted: 4 times

Polarizability and Polarizing Power

Postby Mary Gallo 1G » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi! Does anyone have a good way to remember what makes an atom/ion more polarizable and which atoms/ions have more polarizing power? I'm having a little trouble with those concepts.

Akash J 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Polarizability and Polarizing Power

Postby Akash J 1J » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:05 pm

Mary Gallo 1L wrote:Hi! Does anyone have a good way to remember what makes an atom/ion more polarizable and which atoms/ions have more polarizing power? I'm having a little trouble with those concepts.

The larger and more electrons the atom has, the more polarizable it is.
The smaller and higher charged cations/anions (2+ > 1+ or 2- > 1-) have greater polarizing power. For atoms, the smaller and further along a period it is, the more polarizing power it has (higher electronegativity). Fluorine has the highest electronegativity.

Sid Panda 3A

Postby Sid Panda 3A » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Mary Gallo 1L wrote:Hi! Does anyone have a good way to remember what makes an atom/ion more polarizable and which atoms/ions have more polarizing power? I'm having a little trouble with those concepts.

For atoms that are more polarizable, the bigger the atom is = the more polarizable. I like to remember this by thinking of an analogy where I'm trying to pop balloons with a dart. The bigger the balloon, the more likely I'll be when I throw a dart to pop it (influence its e- cloud).

For polarizing power, the smaller the atom = the more polarizing power. It will be a lot harder for me to throw a really massive dart at a balloon, so I can't "polarize/pop the balloon as easily. The smaller the dart, the easier it is to throw the dart and pop the balloon.

Hope this helps.

Mary Gallo 1G
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Mary Gallo 1G » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Wow, I really like the balloon and dart analogy! Thank you both for the explanations, they really help!

MCalcagnie_ 1D

Postby MCalcagnie_ 1D » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:56 pm

That balloon analogy was super helpful!! Thank you!

MichaelMendozaD1F

Postby MichaelMendozaD1F » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:43 pm

Sid Panda 2A wrote:

For atoms that are more polarizable, the bigger the atom is = the more polarizable. I like to remember this by thinking of an analogy where I'm trying to pop balloons with a dart. The bigger the balloon, the more likely I'll be when I throw a dart to pop it (influence its e- cloud).

For polarizing power, the smaller the atom = the more polarizing power. It will be a lot harder for me to throw a really massive dart at a balloon, so I can't "polarize/pop the balloon as easily. The smaller the dart, the easier it is to throw the dart and pop the balloon.

Hope this helps.

thank you for the analogy, is e-cloud determinable simply based on a substances placement on the periodic table?

Sid Panda 3A

Postby Sid Panda 3A » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:10 am

MichaelMendozaD1F wrote:
Sid Panda 2A wrote:

Hope this helps.

thank you for the analogy, is e-cloud determinable simply based on a substances placement on the periodic table?

e- cloud would vary depending on the atomic radius.

MichaelMendozaD1F

Postby MichaelMendozaD1F » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Sid Panda 2A wrote:
MichaelMendozaD1F wrote:
Sid Panda 2A wrote:

Hope this helps.

e- cloud would vary depending on the atomic radius.

gotcha, thank you for your response!

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”