Polarizing Power/Polarizability Trend?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Daniel Hernandez 1G

Polarizing Power/Polarizability Trend?

Postby Daniel Hernandez 1G » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:43 pm

Is there a trend on the periodic table that represents polarizing power and polarizability?

Jagveer 1I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Polarizing Power/Polarizability Trend?

Postby Jagveer 1I » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Professor Lavelle has not taught us about any polarizability trends, but the general rule is that the bigger the molecule, the bigger the polarizability. So, I would assume that the polarizability trend would be similar to the trend of atomic radius, decreasing across a period and increasing down a group. Hope this helps.

Lea Baskin Monk 1F
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Lea Baskin Monk 1F » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Polarizability follows the same trend as the atomic radius. This is because the larger the radius of the atom, the more easily the electrons are distorted. Polarizing power follows the opposite trend; the smaller the atom, the stronger the polarizing power.

Gillian Gabrielsen2F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Gillian Gabrielsen2F » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:52 pm

Yes, an anion is more polarizable if it has a larger atomic radius. A cation has higher polarizing power as their atomic radius gets smaller and as their charge increases.

BKoh_2E

Postby BKoh_2E » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:32 pm

In general, polarizability will increase down and to the left because those elements have a larger radius and more electrons; so, Francium would have a high polarizability. Polarizing power increases as the size gets smaller and the charge of the cation increases. For example, an Aluminum 3+ cation would a higher polarizing power than a Magnesium 2+ cation.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”