Polarizing Power vs Polarizability

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

cadytran1K

Polarizing Power vs Polarizability

Postby cadytran1K » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:21 pm

Hello! I was completing the text book problems and got a bit confused when asked to arrange cations from increasing polarizing power and anions from increasing polarizability. I mixed the two up at first. What is the difference between polarizing power and polarizability?

Thank you!

Marylyn Makar 1B
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Polarizing Power vs Polarizability

Postby Marylyn Makar 1B » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:25 pm

Hi! Polarizing power refers to small, highly charged cations (I like to remember it like they're tiny but mighty). Polarizability refers to bigger atoms with lots of electrons that are easily distorted.

Lucy_Balish_3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Lucy_Balish_3G » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:25 pm

It's fundamentally the same idea (how the charge on one atom affects the charge on another) just different terms because the atoms have opposite charges. For cations with a positive charge, their ability to distort an anion and skew the electron cloud is known as their polarization power. The tendency of the anion to become polarized by the cation is the same concept but referred to as polarizability.

Kelly Tran 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kelly Tran 1J » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:33 am

Hi! Polarizing power is the ability of the cation to pull (distort) the electrons of the anion into the shared/bonding region. Polarizability refers to the ability of the anion's electrons to be distorted and pulled into the shared/bonding region. Hope this helps! Small, highly charged cations have high polarizing power, while large anions are highly polarizable.

Tanner Bartyczak 1K

Postby Tanner Bartyczak 1K » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 pm

I like to think of 'Polarizing power' as the ability to make things polar, being small cations. 'Polarizability' being the ability to become polarized, being large anions.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”