Polarizability

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ziyi Meng 2K

Polarizability

Postby Ziyi Meng 2K » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:55 pm

Hi,

Can someone help me remember what is polarizability and what are the trends of polarizability in the periodic table?

Arpita Padhy 3E

Re: Polarizability

Postby Arpita Padhy 3E » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Polarizability increases going down a group but decreases going across a period.

Hannah Choi 1K

Postby Hannah Choi 1K » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:02 pm

Polarizability is an atoms ability to be polarized (gain a dipole moment), typically referring to anions. The larger the anion, the greater the polarizability. Hence, the trend would be that polarizability increases down and to the left of the periodic table.

cnyland

Postby cnyland » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 pm

Hi!
As mentioned, polarizability follows the atomic radius trend, so bigger atoms (down a group, to the left of the periodic table in a row) are more polarizable AND I also wanted to mention that this connects very closely to the covalent character of a bond, so if you have a very big, highly polarizable anion and a small, highly charged cation, there is going to be more covalent character than there would be compared to something where the two molecules are very close in electronegativities.

Brooklyn Burgess 3L

Postby Brooklyn Burgess 3L » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:55 am

It increases as you go down a group because more electrons in outer shells which are less tightly held.

elletruchan2I

Postby elletruchan2I » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 am

cnyland wrote:Hi!
As mentioned, polarizability follows the atomic radius trend, so bigger atoms (down a group, to the left of the periodic table in a row) are more polarizable AND I also wanted to mention that this connects very closely to the covalent character of a bond, so if you have a very big, highly polarizable anion and a small, highly charged cation, there is going to be more covalent character than there would be compared to something where the two molecules are very close in electronegativities.

This was super helpful and addressed the prompt so well, thank you!

Misheel Enkhbold 1C

Postby Misheel Enkhbold 1C » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Polarizability follows the same trend as atomic radius and the opposite trend of electronegativity.

Return to “Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations”