Determining Ionization Energy of Metals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Christian Velazquez 2B

Determining Ionization Energy of Metals

Postby Christian Velazquez 2B » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:42 pm

How do we find the ionization energy of metals, does this relate to the periodic table, is a higher energy correlate to a stronger bond and vice versa. And what does it mean

Re: Determining Ionization Energy of Metals

Postby 106033555 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:48 pm

all i know is that ionization follows the same trend as electronegativity, so it means that metals have low ionization because they are to the left of the periodic table.

Lan Wei 3I

Re: Determining Ionization Energy of Metals

Postby Lan Wei 3I » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:36 pm

Ionization energy increases as you move left to right across a period and up the groups. Atomic radius follows the opposite trend. With that in mind, ionization energy increases as the atomic radius of the atom gets smaller, because the outermost electrons are closer to the nucleus and held more tightly together, requiring more energy to remove. Ionization energy decreases as the atomic radius gets bigger because the valence electrons are farther from the nucleus, meaning it is held less tightly and requires less energy to remove. Metals have low ionization energy, so they tend to lose electrons during chemical reactions (get oxidized) and form cations.

Return to “Electronegativity”