Difference between electron affinity and electronegativity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jiaruo Wang 1K

Difference between electron affinity and electronegativity

Postby Jiaruo Wang 1K » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:33 am

Can anyone help explain the difference between electron affinity and electronegativity?
I'm kind of confuse about the two concepts and the trend of each.
Thanks a lot!

Ashley Van Belle 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Difference between electron affinity and electronegativity

Postby Ashley Van Belle 2B » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:11 am

In order to transfer one electron from an atom to another, the electron affinity should be met. Electron affinity is a measure of how much energy is released when an electron is gained by a certain atom; it is also the amount of energy required in order to detach the electron from the other atom.

Sometimes, electrons are shared, forming a covalent bond between molecules rather than detaching itself from an atom. Electronegativity is the quantification of a molecules ability to attract an electron and form a covalent bond. Therefore, the higher the electronegativity value of a specific molecule, the stronger it pulls electrons towards it.

Electron affinity can be measured by specific scientific means after an electron has attached itself to the atom, while electronegativity cannot be measured by scientific means. Electron Affinity is a value associated with individual atoms; electronegativity is the derived value of a molecule.

I hope this helps!

Jazmin_Morales_3J

Postby Jazmin_Morales_3J » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:23 pm

Hey there, I just wanted to share this diagram with you because it really helped me memorize the trends of electron affinity and electronegativity on the periodic table. I hope it helps you put things into perspective!

http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/p ... c4db84.jpg

Helen Shi 1J

Postby Helen Shi 1J » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:04 am

Why is energy released when electrons is added to a gas phase atom?

Return to “Electronegativity”