CO2 vs. CS2 ionic character

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alyssa_Hsu_2K

CO2 vs. CS2 ionic character

Postby Alyssa_Hsu_2K » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:28 pm

How would you know whether CO2 or CS2 has greater ionic character?

I understand that O is more electronegative than S, but how would I know how that compares to Carbon's electronegativity? In other words, just because O is more electronegative than S doesn't mean it's further away from C.

Moreover, how would I even know that Sulfur has a higher electronegativity than carbon?

Diana_Visco_1l

Re: CO2 vs. CS2 ionic character

Postby Diana_Visco_1l » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:40 pm

When analyzing the ionic character of a compound its important to realize the electronegativity difference between the elements in the compound. For example, C has an electronegativity is 0.8. Where C (2.6 EN) - O (3.4 EN) = 0.8 EN. The same thing goes for CS2 = C (2.6 EN) - (2.6) = 0. The greater the electronegativity difference, the greater the ionic nature of the compound. Therefore, CO2 has a greater electronegativity than CS2. Also just by analyzing the periodic table and understanding the unique nature that oxygen is highly electronegative, you can understand that its ionic character exceeds that of CS2.

Alyssa_Hsu_2K

Postby Alyssa_Hsu_2K » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Can you elaborate on how we can figure out that Sulfur is more electronegative than Carbon ?

I know that Oxygen is more electronegative than Sulfur, and that Oxygen is more electronegative than Carbon.

Thanks !

Diego Zavala 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Diego Zavala 2I » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:25 pm

I don't believe that you need to know that sulfur has a higher electronegativity than carbon (if you search up a periodic table that shows electronegativity, you can see that S and C have roughly the same electronegativity). To measure which compound is more ionic you compare O and S since Carbon is in both compounds it will not affect the comparison.

Return to “Electronegativity”