Carbon and Sulfur electronegativity?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Thompson W 2C
Been upvoted: 5 times

Carbon and Sulfur electronegativity?

Postby Thompson W 2C » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Why is Carbon less electronegative than sulfur? The periodic trend for electronegativity is that it increases going up and to the right, so why would Carbon be less electronegative?

Ashin_Jose_1H

Re: Carbon and Sulfur electronegativity?

Postby Ashin_Jose_1H » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:31 pm

One way of identifying which element is more electronegative is by looking at which element is the closest to Fluorine. In this case, it is Sulfur.

Josian1A

Postby Josian1A » Sun May 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Carbon and Sulfur are actually really close in electronegativity (Carbon 2.55 and Sulfur 2.58), but as someone said earlier, using Fluorine as a reference point is a good strategy because it is the most electronegative element. According to my TA, we probably won't be asked to distinguish elements so close in electronegativity because we're not supposed to memorize the actual numbers.

Sarai Ventura 1L

Postby Sarai Ventura 1L » Sun May 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Well you have to keep in mind which element is closest to Fluorine which is the most electronegative element, my TA showed us a helpful tip to remember, she uses FONCl which will go on to FOClBrISCHP (following the trend) this can help you remember the order of the electronegativities of the nonmetals. So by following the trend you will find that Sulfur is more electronegative than Carbon.

Yitzchak Jacobson 1F

Postby Yitzchak Jacobson 1F » Sun May 20, 2018 11:17 pm

How I understand this concept of the periodic table is by always looking at fluorine and oxygen as the most electronegative. This could really help you decipher how the elements electronegativity's differ. I hopes this helps you! :)

Return to “Electronegativity”