Electronegativity vs. Electron affinity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alicia Beebe

Electronegativity vs. Electron affinity

Postby Alicia Beebe » Sun May 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi!
Two questions
1. Can someone summarize the difference between electronegativity and electron affinity?
2. What was the rule comparing electronegativity and placement within a lewis structure? Was is that in general the highest electronegativity goes in the middle, or the lowest? Or what was the rule from lecture?
Thank you!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 418 times

Re: Electronegativity vs. Electron affinity

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun May 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Electronegativity is a scale that was created to determine how much an atom wants an electron while an electron affinity is the energy released when a neutral atom gains an electron.
Could you clarify what you mean by question 2?

Jasmine Emtage-1J

Postby Jasmine Emtage-1J » Sun May 13, 2018 10:26 pm

To answer your second question, I believe the less electronegative an element is, the more likely it is to be the central atom.

Bianca Nguyen 1B

Postby Bianca Nguyen 1B » Sun May 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I think an exception for this though would be hydrogen, as it is never a central atom since it can only share 1 electron

Alicia Beebe

Postby Alicia Beebe » Sun May 20, 2018 10:22 pm

To clarify, this means that electronegativity and electron affinity are expressing the same idea, or a similar idea, but electronegativity is a relative scale whereas electron affinity is quantitative?

Isobel Tweedt 1E

Postby Isobel Tweedt 1E » Sun May 20, 2018 10:31 pm

This also means that electronegativity and electron affinity follow the same periodic trends - increasing as you move up and to the right. This also means the atomic size is decreasing.

Heung Ching Chia 1E

Postby Heung Ching Chia 1E » Sun May 20, 2018 11:23 pm

To answer your second question, the central atom is usually the atom with the lowest electronegativity as the central atom is the one that shares more electrons than the non-central atoms. The higher the electronegativity, the less the atom wants to share electrons with another atom. Therefore, the more electronegative atom would be more likely to hold on to its electrons and would rather have a lone pair. Thus, the least electronegative atom is usually the central atom.

John Miller-1I

Postby John Miller-1I » Mon May 21, 2018 11:19 pm

Alicia Beebe wrote:To clarify, this means that electronegativity and electron affinity are expressing the same idea, or a similar idea, but electronegativity is a relative scale whereas electron affinity is quantitative?

I believe this is correct, in a practical sense they can be thought of as the same way as they both describe which element "pulls" electrons harder, even though in a technical sense they are different

Return to “Electronegativity”