difference in electronegativity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Caitlin_Murphy_3C

difference in electronegativity

Postby Caitlin_Murphy_3C » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:43 am

can the difference in electronegativity of two atoms (forming a compound) be calculated? or is it just determined by looking at the periodic table and knowing the general trends of electronegativity?

Brevin Hensley 1C

Re: difference in electronegativity

Postby Brevin Hensley 1C » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:44 am

There are periodic tables that include an electronegative charge. Yet, for this class, I believe you do not need to know the exact charge, just know the general trend of electronegativity.

Alexandra Albers 1D

Postby Alexandra Albers 1D » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:02 pm

I believe that there is an equation to find electronegativity, however I don't think that we've been taught it. As long as you know that electronegativity increases across and decreases down the periodic table you should be good. If we need exact numbers, they will probably be given to us.

Sydney Stump

Postby Sydney Stump » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:43 pm

In our textbook there is an example of a period table that shows electronegativity in chapter two which is used to answer some of the questions at the end of the chapter. However, I believe that we only need to know the general trends for this class right now (not the actual numbers) so there should be no need to do any calculations.

Mikka Hoffman 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Mikka Hoffman 1C » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:48 pm

I think for this class at least any time we will need to calculate electronegativity differences the values will be provided, we should just know general trends

Sydney Stump

Postby Sydney Stump » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:57 pm

The difference can be calculate but in most cases I believe we are expected to base our answers off of periodic trends rather than the actual numbers.

Return to “Electronegativity”