Electronegativity in Molecules with N,O,F

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jeremy_Guiman2E

Electronegativity in Molecules with N,O,F

Postby Jeremy_Guiman2E » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:00 pm

Would a molecule like nitrogen trifluoride (NF3) have an electronegativity difference (partial positive/partial negative) suitable for hydrogen bonding (i.e. with water)? I'm just not sure if the fact that these are 2 of the most electronegative elements affects this.

Peichung Chou 1A

Re: Electronegativity in Molecules with N,O,F

Postby Peichung Chou 1A » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:37 pm

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your question properly, but I believe NF3 should be able to create a hydrogen bond with hydrogen, because the fluorine molecules are highly electronegative.

tierra parker 1J

Postby tierra parker 1J » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 am

NF3 has hydrogen bonding because the hydrogen is bonding with the very electronegative nitrogen. this molecule is polar which makes it dissolve in water.

megan blatt 2B

Postby megan blatt 2B » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 pm

NF3 would be able to create a hydrogen bond because H forms hydrogen bonds with N, O and F. The reasoning for this is because of the high electronegativity of these atoms and therefore, the large difference in electronegativities between hydrogen and these three atoms. It would be able to dissolve in water because the hydrogen bonds formed between the water molecules and the N and F atoms would overcome the covalent bonds in NF3.

Sameen Mahmood 3D

Postby Sameen Mahmood 3D » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:58 pm

As long as the hydrogen itself is attached to a N, O, or F, it can be attracted to N, O, or F of another molecule.

Return to “Electronegativity”