Difference between electronegativity, ionization energy, and electron affinity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I

Difference between electronegativity, ionization energy, and electron affinity

Postby Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Hey can someone tell me the differences between these? They get used often but I get confused on which is which sometimes.

EvaLi_3J

Re: Difference between electronegativity, ionization energy, and electron affinity

Postby EvaLi_3J » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Electronegativity is a property that describes how easily it is for an atom to gain electrons to form bonds.
Ionization energy is THE ENERGY it takes for an electron to leave an atom.
Electron affinity is also THE ENERGY that would be released when an electron is added to a neutral atom or molecule.

Jamie Lee 1H

Re: Difference between electronegativity, ionization energy, and electron affinity

Postby Jamie Lee 1H » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron. Electron Affinity is the amount of energy released when an atom gains an electron. Electronegativity is the ability of an atom to attract/ bond an electron to itself.

AmyL_3L

Postby AmyL_3L » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Electronegativity is the measure of how likely the atom attracts bonding electrons to itself. Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an ion or gaseous atom. And for electron affinity, its definition is the amount of energy released or used when an electron is added to an atom. Their trends, on the other hand, are the same: they increase across a period from left to right and across a group from bottom to top.

Juliet Stephenson 4E

Postby Juliet Stephenson 4E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Electronegativity is a measurement of an atom's attraction to electrons - its own as well as outside electrons.

Ionization energy is the energy input required to remove an electron from an atom.

Electron affinity is a measurement of change in the energy of an atom when an electron is added.

Electronegativity and ionization energy follow the same trends but electron affinity follows different trends.

Claire Stoecklein 1E

Postby Claire Stoecklein 1E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Ionization energy is a direct result of an atom's electronegativity-- because it takes more energy to remove an electron that is clung onto by an atom. This is why these two properties follow the same trend. Electron affinity follows a less obvious trend.

Return to “Electronegativity”