Electronegativity trends

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jacob Puchalski 1G

Electronegativity trends

Postby Jacob Puchalski 1G » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:33 pm

Are we expected to know specific values or just the general trends?

AVerma_F19
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electronegativity trends

Postby AVerma_F19 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:38 pm

I think we just need to know the general properties of all the trends.

Izzie Capra 2E

Postby Izzie Capra 2E » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:12 pm

I would agree that we just need to know general trends. Electronegativity increases bottom to top in a group and left to right across a period. The top right corner of the periodic table has the highest electronegativity.

Angela Patel 2J

Postby Angela Patel 2J » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:17 pm

What about electronegativity? Does that count as a trend in the periodic table or is it just ionization energy / electron affinity?

Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L

Postby Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Yes, electronegativity counts as a trend on the periodic table. It is important for things like determining if elements have an ionic bond or a covalent bond. Electronegativity, electron affinity, and ionization energy have the same trend (increase up the table and to the right across the periodic table). However, the atomic radius is the inverse of them in that the trend is that the atomic radius increases going down and to the left of the periodic table. A short and easy way that I learned in my PLF to remember these trends is that Fluorine in the far top right is one of the most electronegative so anything close to it will have a high electronegativity and elements farther from Fluorine will be less electronegative. With atomic radius, I keep the element Radium in mind because it reminds me of "radius" and it is located on the bottom left which contains a high atomic radius (so elements close to radium will have an increased atomic radius and vice verse).

Jialun Chen 4F

Postby Jialun Chen 4F » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:43 am

It's definitely a trend you need to remember along with the atomic radius, I.E., and electron affinity. Yet it's unnecessary to memorize all the values.

Return to “Electronegativity”