Electronegativity Chart

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bita Ghanei 1F

Electronegativity Chart

Postby Bita Ghanei 1F » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Does anyone know if we will be given a chart with the exact electronegativity values for atoms? Or should we have a general idea based on just looking at the atom's position on the periodic table?

Sebastian Lee 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electronegativity Chart

Postby Sebastian Lee 1L » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:02 pm

I think you should definitely know the general trend that electronegativity increases as you go to the right across a period and up a group. This way you can roughly determine what kind of dipole moment may appear in a molecule. The only time I think we would need to have an electronegativity chart is if we are asked to determine if a certain bond is covalent or ionic by calculating the exact electronegativity difference. (Difference > 2 means ionic, Difference <1.5 means covalent). If such a problem is asked, I'm fairly sure the relevant chart or at least the values for each element will be given.

Justin Seok 2A

Postby Justin Seok 2A » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:03 pm

We may be given electronegativity numbers for some of the elements involved in the problem if any do arise in the midterm, however, it would probably be in your best interest to generally know the trends for electronegativity, and other periodic trends as well. In the case of electronegativity, it goes up from left to right and goes down from top to bottom. Generally the rightmost elements are most electronegative as it is easier to gain an electron than lose one, energetically. The electronegativity decreases down the group as the radius increases, meaning that the pull of the nucleus becomes more shielded, making it harder for electrons to be attracted.

Marykate Abad 3L

Postby Marykate Abad 3L » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 pm

We will not be given an electronegativity chart. We should know the general trends for electronegativity.

Keerthana Sivathasan 2E

Postby Keerthana Sivathasan 2E » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm

We will not be given an electronegativity chart, but we won't need to know them very accurately or precisely. You just need to know whether it increases or decreases down a period and down a group, similar to how you should know the trends of ionization energy, electron affinity, and atomic radius.

Chetas Holagunda 3H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Chetas Holagunda 3H » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Adding on, I think it would also be helpful to just know which elements are generally a lot more electronegative and the electronegativity values of the most electronegative elements like F, N, O, and Cl.

Return to “Electronegativity”