test

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RBergtraun_3A

test

Postby RBergtraun_3A » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Do we need to know the electronegativity by heart for the test?

MAC 4G

Re: test

Postby MAC 4G » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:18 pm

I don't believe that they'd expect us to have the electronegativity values memorized, but definitely understanding the trend and how it's affected by the atomic number and the distance at which its valence electrons reside from the charged nucleus.

RBergtraun_3A

Postby RBergtraun_3A » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm

MAC 1G wrote:I don't believe that they'd expect us to have the electronegativity values memorized, but definitely understanding the trend and how it's affected by the atomic number and the distance at which its valence electrons reside from the charged nucleus.

Thanks! If you don't mind what are the trends more or less? I have a vague idea.

Isha_Maniyar_Dis2E

Postby Isha_Maniyar_Dis2E » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:39 pm

As you go from left to right, electronegativity will increase (aka it will take require more energy to remove an electron). This is because the valence electrons are experiencing a stronger pull from the nucleus. As you go from top to bottom, electronegativity decreases because the valence electrons are farther from the nucleus and therefore do not experience as strong of a pull from the nucleus. Also, the electrons between the valence electrons and the nucleus shield the effects of the nucleus, and electron-electron repulsions make the outermost electrons easier to remove. The energy required to remove an electron, aka electronegativity, will be lower.

Hope this helped!

MAC 4G

Postby MAC 4G » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:42 pm

The general trend is that it increases towards Helium. In other words, it increases from left to right in a periodic table and up a column.

Some extra info that might help:
If two atoms have electronegativity values that are extremely different, they won’t share electrons between them. The atom with the greater value will basically take the electron bond from the other atom and possess it, creating an ionic bond.

This is important especially in hydrogen bonding, which results from the attractive force between a hydrogen atom (covalently bonded to a very electronegative atom such as a N, O, or F atom) and another very electronegative atom (on a different molecule).

Marco Vivar 3G

Postby Marco Vivar 3G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:47 pm

In terms of questions that could be asked there could be some conceptual questions that make sure we understand the trends and exceptions

Claire_Kim_2F

Postby Claire_Kim_2F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:50 pm

I believe you do not like they will not ask what is the electronegativity of fluorine or something but you should know the general trend of how it gets more electronegative as you go to the right of the periodic table I just remember that fluorine is the most and just recall that.

Postby 905579227 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:52 pm

I am a little behind is anybody able to tutor in this class or just become a study buddy. Also do you have any tips on catching up I am a week behind on the lectures because I was very sick, please help.

Return to “Electronegativity”