Partial Charge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jasmine 2C

Partial Charge

Postby Jasmine 2C » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 pm

How do we determine if there's a partial charge or not? Would be very helpful if you can give an example that isn't water molecule H20 to explain :(
I don't know when to decide an atom has a partial charge

Sarah Blake-2I

Re: Partial Charge

Postby Sarah Blake-2I » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Whenever there is a difference in electronegativity that is noticeable, there will be a partial negative and partial positive charge. So for instance, let's look at CCl3. Cl is very electronegative in comparison to carbon. This will cause the Cl to form a partial negative charge and C to form a partial positive charge. The partial charges will lead to a dipole moment in this compound that will point towards the partial negative atom. So essentially, you look at electronegativity to determine the partial charges. If you want to see whether the molecule is polar or nonpolar, you would then have to go into VSEPR shapes and IMF. I hope this helps!

Jasmine 2C

Re: Partial Charge

Postby Jasmine 2C » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:19 am

Sarah-3C wrote:Whenever there is a difference in electronegativity that is noticeable, there will be a partial negative and partial positive charge. So for instance, let's look at CCl3. Cl is very electronegative in comparison to carbon. This will cause the Cl to form a partial negative charge and C to form a partial positive charge.

Is there a specific value the difference in electronegativity needs to be to be considered "noticeable"? Because this is different from the values of determining if a bond is more ionic or covalent.

Return to “Electronegativity”