Electronegativity of Atoms We Should Know About

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jasmine 2C

Electronegativity of Atoms We Should Know About

Postby Jasmine 2C » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Can someone give a hierarchy of the electronegativities of main elements we should know about? Like I know F is the most electronegative and then O (I think?). And then there's C and S that are very similar? I would try to search up periodic tables of them but most give varying values. And I understand the trend is increasing from lower left to upper right but there are some edge cases that make it hard to determine.

Junxi Feng 3B

Re: Electronegativity of Atoms We Should Know About

Postby Junxi Feng 3B » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:11 pm

I think you would be fine just to memorize the general trend...The specific values are relatively not important for the exam.

Nathan Nakaguchi 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nathan Nakaguchi 1G » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:02 pm

It is probably best to memorize the periodic trends that electronegativity has. As you go up the table EN increases, and as you go right from the table EN increases. I don't believe we will have to know the exact hierarchy/numbers for electronegativity, we just need to be able to work with the idea of EN based off of an elements position on the periodic table relative to another.

Ayushi2011

Postby Ayushi2011 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:08 am

The trend is that electronegativity increases as we move across the period and decreases as we move down the group.

Sydney Jensen 3L

Postby Sydney Jensen 3L » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:46 am

Knowing the trend of increasing electronegativity as you move to the right and to the top of the periodic table will be beneficial for what the questions will ask you.

Return to “Electronegativity”