Electronegativity Table/Chart in Lecture

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mackenzie Fernandez 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Electronegativity Table/Chart in Lecture

Postby Mackenzie Fernandez 3G » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:43 pm

hi!

Will we need to memorize the specific electronegativity for each element? In Dr. Lavelle's lecture he referenced a table/chart with some of the elements and their values. Will we be able to reference a chart like this for future tests or should we just be able to tell whether two elements will have an ionic/covalent bond based on their distance from each other?

Thanks!

Keerthana Sundar 1K

Re: Electronegativity Table/Chart in Lecture

Postby Keerthana Sundar 1K » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm pretty sure we won't have to memorize the electronegativity values for each element. For the most part, we should be able to decipher whether the element will form an ionic bond or a covalent bond based on their distance from each other (for example, we can evidently tell that an element in Group 2 vs in Group 16 are going to form an ionic bond), and any element which is too difficult to be sure, we likely will receive an electronegativity chart for that. I think the best way to study this for the test is to just look over an electronegativity chart and note down the general trends, and see which elements tend to form ionic vs covalent bonds. I hope this helps!

Ryan Agcaoili 2E

Postby Ryan Agcaoili 2E » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:14 pm

I do not think it is required to memorize the specific values for electronegativity, but to memorize the trends of it on the periodic table and its relation to ionic/covalent character. I remember during the lecture he said that if we had to determine if a compound has ionic or covalent character, he would give us a chart so that we can find the difference in the electronegativity.

Emerald Wong 1B

Postby Emerald Wong 1B » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:14 pm

I don't think we are supposed to memorize the values. I think if there were a question on electronegativity, we would have to know the trends and use that to answer the question, like how Fluorine is very electronegative.

Justin Nguyen 3E

Postby Justin Nguyen 3E » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm

To add on to what the others are saying, I think in the Friday lecture Dr. Lavelle said that the electronegativity of each atom would be given in the problems, but it would be best to know the general trends.

Namratha Gujje

Postby Namratha Gujje » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:48 pm

I don't think that we need to memorize the electronegativity values for all elements. I think that he expects us to know the electronegativity trend which is the same thing as the ionization energy trend.

Akriti Ratti 1H

Postby Akriti Ratti 1H » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:58 pm

Hi! We don't have to memorize the table, we just need to have a general idea of the trends.

Mikayla James 2A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Mikayla James 2A » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:09 pm

I don't think we'll need to know specific values, but we will have to remember the periodic trends in electronegativity and be able to organize elements in order of electronegativity according to the general trend. Hope this helps!

Immi Lee - 1D

Postby Immi Lee - 1D » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:13 pm

Dr. Lavelle said in the lecture that we don't have to memorize it! If we need to know the electronegativity there will the a chart/they'll give us the value, so don't worry! :)

Andre Fabian 1F

Postby Andre Fabian 1F » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:31 pm

While acknowledging certain trends in the periodic table, such as going across a period and up a group are indicative of higher electronegativity levels, can be helpful, Lavelle mentioned that memorization of such values are not necessary. I believe we will be provided with the appropriate resources to perform the calculations whenever necessary.

Hope this helps!
Andre

Tatyana Bonnet 2H

Postby Tatyana Bonnet 2H » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:45 pm

We don't need to memorize it but having a general idea of the trend and its relation to ionization energy is helpful. If we need the numbers, the chart will be provided on problems that need it.

Crystal Pan 2G

Postby Crystal Pan 2G » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:03 pm

We will need to know the trends, but it is not expected of us to memorize the specific electronegativity of each element.

Sophia Kalanski 1A

Postby Sophia Kalanski 1A » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi! So I don't think we will have to know the exact value of the electronegativity of each element but we will need to know the general trends of electronegativity that occur in the periodic table and where electronegative atoms are found more.

Madison Muggeo 3H

Postby Madison Muggeo 3H » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:36 pm

My TA said that we should know the general trend, but if there is a question that asks for the specific difference in electronegativities, we would be given the values needed.

SelenaDahabreh1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby SelenaDahabreh1D » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:18 pm

My TA said that we won't need to memorize the values. Rather, he suggested using and applying the trends in the periodic table to determine the difference in electronegativity.

Return to “Electronegativity”