Tips on remembering trend

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Karina Rodriguez 2H

Tips on remembering trend

Postby Karina Rodriguez 2H » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Any tips on remembering the trend of electronegativity on the periodic table?

Molly Posta 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Tips on remembering trend

Postby Molly Posta 1H » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:40 pm

In general, electronegativity increases from left to right and decreases from top to bottom. I don't really have a specific way to remember this, but it might help to just think of a diagonal arrow going from the bottom left corner of the table to the top right, and knowing electronegativity increases along this path.

Jamie2002

Postby Jamie2002 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:42 pm

I would draw out perodic tables and draw arrows describing each trend (i.e. for electronegativity, draw an arrow starting in the bottom left hand corner and going to the top right corner, where electronegativity is the highest). This is the most straightforward way to represent each trend.

Anastasia Yulo 1C

Postby Anastasia Yulo 1C » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:12 pm

I remember that helium is the smallest atom and that francium is the largest.
Because there are added shells with each descending row, I know that as I go down, atoms get larger. Also, I know that noble gases are the most stable elements and thus they are more tightly held..thus I remember that as I move from left to right (toward the noble gases) that the elements get smaller!

SahajDole_1C

Postby SahajDole_1C » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Best way to memorize is to consider the atom as the periods go across and how they get bigger and when they go down a group. Usually bigger atoms tend to have the smaller ionization energies

Jaclyn Schwartz 1I

Postby Jaclyn Schwartz 1I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:42 pm

I don't know if this will help but I remember it by how the elements want to complete the octet. For example elements in group one and two aren't trying to fill their valence shell so low they have low electronegativity. While group 7 really wants to fill their valence shell and only needs one more so higher electronegativity. I also remember that fluorine and chlorine have very high electronegativities. I hope that helps!

Return to “Electronegativity”