How is electronegativity calculated?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

samanthaywu

How is electronegativity calculated?

Postby samanthaywu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:45 pm

I remember lecture covered how electronegativity is a value calculated from ionization energy and electron affinity. Can anyone give a slightly more detailed explanation as to how it was calculated?

Jagveer 1I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: How is electronegativity calculated?

Postby Jagveer 1I » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:55 pm

I found this information in the textbook under topic 2D. The electronegativity is the average of the ionization energy (I) and electron affinity (E_a) of the element. So, the formula given was X=(1/2)(I+E_a). Hope this helps.

isha dis3d

Postby isha dis3d » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 am

After looking into it, it looks like electronegativity cannot be calculated from the number of subatomic particles in an atom. However, using Ionization Energy and Electron Affinity, one can calculate the Electronegativity of an atom using the above equation.

Kathy_Li_1H

Postby Kathy_Li_1H » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:56 am

Hi! I believe Dr. Lavelle doesn't expect us to calculate electronegativity (more that we should recognize electronegative trends and elements) and the point of him mentioning the calculation was to explain that electronegativity trends are similar to electron affinity and ionization energy trends since its calculated from those two values.

ellenulitsky Dis 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby ellenulitsky Dis 1I » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:30 am

Yes, I also agree that Dr. Lavelle does not expect us to know how to calculate EN. Just know the trends of EN! Hope this helps.

Return to “Electronegativity”