Polare Molecules

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

lilliewasem_2G

Polare Molecules

Postby lilliewasem_2G » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:41 pm

Not sure if this has been talked about in lecture, but can a polar molecule have nonpolar bonds? There is a question applying this on the Achieve, and I am confused on how a polar molecule can have nonpolar bonds.

morgan 1I

Re: Polare Molecules

Postby morgan 1I » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:46 pm

A molecule with only nonpolar bonds cannot be polar, but a molecule with both polar and nonpolar bonds can be polar.

Noah Chriqui 2H

Postby Noah Chriqui 2H » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:47 pm

Yes, a polar molecule can have non-polar bonds if the individual polar bonds within the molecule are arranged symmetrically, resulting in the overall molecular dipole moment being canceled out. This can occur in molecules with a specific geometric arrangement that leads to a net dipole moment of zero.

Melinda Llamas

Postby Melinda Llamas » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:52 pm

A polar molecule can still be considered can have non polar bonds due to the arrangement of the structure of the molecule. in a symmetrical arrangement a polar bond can be given rise making the molecule polar.

Isaac 14B

Postby Isaac 14B » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:10 pm

Yes it is indeed possible for a polar molecule to have nonpolar bonds. This is particularly true when there is an asymmetry in the arrangement of atoms around the central atom. The classic example of this is water (H₂O). Although the O-H bonds are polar because oxygen is more electronegative than hydrogen, the overall molecule is polar due to the bent or V-shaped molecular geometry, which leads to an uneven distribution of charge.

Return to “Dipole Moments”